The Battle With Hyperpigmentation

Monday, August 15, 2016

Hi, guys! I took a much-needed break from blogging over the course of the past couple weeks but I'm back and better hopefully haha.

Recently, I've been battling something I've never had a problem with before - hyperpigmentation (ugh). For the most part, I've had pretty clear skin for the majority of my life but this summer, I got some serious acne on my cheeks and while that is completely gone, I am left behind with a bunch of hyperpigmentation. Yikes. I started looking for solutions and I recently found a routine that has been working for me! My hyperpigmentation is fading :) I also recently booked a dermatologist appointment to see what else I can do but I wanted to share some products and tips that have been working for me. I also want to make a note to say that despite me having hyperpigmentation, I am still so beyond blessed because not only do I love myself despite having the hyperpigmentation but also because my struggles with my skin are nothing compared to so many. I am so lucky and I am so aware and grateful for that. That point aside, ya girl is just trying to get her best skin! So now that I've gone on for a bit, on to the post. For reference, I have oily skin.

For starters, what I have is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). I do not have acne scarring nor do I have sun spots. What I have is not severe by any means but it's still noticeable. For this, I have established a skincare routine that has been making a difference. That along with some additional tips is making me love my skin even more. Let's start with the skin care routine:

Skincare Routine

Cleanser --- Exfoliator --- Serum --- Moisturizer

Cleanser: I have been using the Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser from Paula's Choice. Guys, I love it. For the longest time, I was using a salicylic acid cleanser to control the oil on my skin but I realize now that it was stripping my skin of important oils that help prevent breakouts. This cleanser has been great for me - unscented, makes my skin feel clean and not greasy, and it's not expensive ($12 for 6 oz). Score!





Exfoliator: This was a one of my two absolutely game changing products. I have never been one to exfoliate. I just didn't see it as an important part of my daily skincare routine but I was so wrong. When I started reading up and learning more about skincare, I realized that exfoliation is so necessary for healthy skin!!! I originally went and bought a physical exfoliator (which I still love because it's gentle and wonderful) but it was doing nothing for my hyperpigmentation. That's when I turned to chemical exfoliation and the world of AHAs and BHAs.  Basically, AHAs are for people who's main concern is sun damage, and excess pigmentation while BHAs are more for people with active acne, enlarged pores, blackheads, and in some cases rosacea (consult your derm to be safe!). You guys, I was so nervous and I was not looking forward to skin that would become slightly more sensitive to the skin but I decided it was something I needed to do. I choose the Pixi Glow Tonic as my AHA exfoliator - it has 5% Glycolic Acid which is a safe amount and this exfoliator does not dry out the skin. I slowly started applying this both day and night and the chemical exfoliation from the glycolic acid started to fade my marks. It's still doing its job but it's working. Very important to remember that you NEED to put on SPF while using this (you should anyway on a regular basis) but especially while you are using any type of acid on your skin, even salicylic. Now this is something that is a little on the pricier end but totally worth it ($15 for 3.4 oz and $30 for 8.4 oz). This goes very fast but as I said, it's worth it.


Serum: Oh boy, this is where the big money comes in. This is my second absolutely game changing product. Serums contain concentrated ingredients and help speed up the process in treating the problems you might have. I decided to splurge on the Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum ($80). Yes, this is expensive but do not fret because let me tell you about Bath and Unwind ;) I knew that I wanted to get this serum to help fade my pigmentation and I heard nothing but amazing things about Caudalie. I found this serum on Bath and Unwind (A British company) for $50. I jumped for joy because not only was this a savings of $30 but also because they offer free international shipping. Honestly, I was a little skeptical at first but after doing some research, I found out that because Caudalie is a Paris-based company, their products are cheaper in Europe hence the price difference. I placed the order and the serum arrived in perfect condition on the expected arrival date. Keep in mind, it took two weeks because it was shipped from the U.K and had to go through customs but it got here and I couldn't be happier. While their response time on emails is awful, Bath and Unwind is reliable and my product got here and exceeds my expectations. It has helped my spots lighten up and has given my whole face a wonderful glow. Love love love - a bonus is that it smells divine (also it's very light, works for all skin types, a little goes a long way and it's all natural so no photosensitivity). Can you tell I love it? 



Moisturizer: You guys already know my two picks for this. During the day, I like to use a moisturizer with at least SPF 30. Recently, I've been loving the Olay Moisturizer with SPF 30 and I alternate this with my Neutrogena Moisturizer with SPF 35 but I've been trying to avoid oxybenzone (that is a post for another day) so I've been using my Olay one a bit more. Both get the job done. At night, I've been staying faithful to my Josie Maran Light Argan Oil but since the serum feels a little bit hydrating on my skin and my skin is already oily, I have been skipping out on it some nights and my skin has been doing great and is not dry one bit. It's important to make sure your skin is feeling hydrated always, despite your skin type. 


        


Tips

Going to try and keep this short and sweet since this post is already SO long haha. 

1) Be consistent with sun protection - if you are using products and not using SPF, pigmentation will not get better.

2) Give it time - the best thing you can do is be patient. If you get nothing out of this post but one thing, the one thing should be that time will be the best healer. You need to give everything time to work and you need to let your skin do its thing. 

3) Love yourself despite whatever you might be facing - You are beautiful! Your inner beauty is always the most important aspect of you as a person and try to remember the surface things mean nothing at the end of the day. What means the most is what type of person you are - if you are kind, loving, open-minded, and accepting, I can promise you that nothing else with matter. 

Yes, work towards being the best version of you but be the best version of you both on the outside and inside. 


xx








    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs